Community Foundation Accepting
Community Star Nominations
Hernando, Miss. – The Community Foundation of Northwest Mississippi is accepting nominations for the 2018 Community Stars. The purpose of the award is to honor individuals and organizations who have demonstrated philanthropic leadership, volunteerism, and activation/impact in their community or in Northwest Mississippi.
The categories include: 1) The Dan Maddox Man of the Year; 2) Margaret Maddox Woman of the Year; 3) Business of the Year, and 4) Nonprofit of the Year.
Overall, to be considered for a Community Star Award, it is necessary that nominators show evidence that the nominee has taken a leadership role in an initiative or project that lead to the betterment of their community through their time, talent, or charitable donations.
“Everyone knows ‘stars’ who deserve thanks and praise for improving their community’s quality of life,” said Tom Pittman, president of the Community Foundation. “We want to give public appreciation for these citizens who contribute so much to Northwest Mississippi. It is a great opportunity for anyone who knows a ’community star’ to nominate them for the recognition they so richly deserve.”
- Nominations will be accepted through October 30, 2018.
- Nominations can be submitted by individuals, companies, organizations, and educational institutions.
- All nominations must show examples of philanthropic leadership, volunteerism, and/or activation/impact in their community or in Northwest Mississippi.
- Nominees must live in one of the 11 counties served by the Community Foundation: Bolivar, Coahoma, DeSoto, Leflore, Marshall, Panola, Quitman, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tate, and Tunica.
- Nominators may nominate as many eligible candidates as they would like, but they must submit a separate nomination form for each candidate.
- All nomination forms and materials must be submitted by 5:00 pm CST on October 30, 2018 to be eligible for an award.
- To submit a nomination, please go to www.cfnm.org/events/crystal-ball-gala/community-stars/. Nominations can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or sent to: Community Foundation of Northwest MS | Community Star | 315 Losher Street, Suite 100, Hernando, MS 38632.
- The Community Star winners will have access to the nomination form that was submitted on their behalf for clarification and verification of the information. The nominator may remain anonymous if desired.
- The Community Star winners will be chosen by a selection committee. This committee is responsible for ensuring that the Community Star winners have been chosen based on the criteria mentioned above.
- Community Star winners will have the opportunity to record a special 30-second video regarding why they were nominated and about their community impact. This video will be played in front of 1,000+ people at the January 19, 2019 Crystal Ball Gala.
- Each Community Star winner and a guest will be invited to attend the Crystal Ball Gala at no cost.
To view a list of the previous recipients, go to www.cfnm.org. This list includes recipients throughout Northwest Mississippi representing outstanding service organizations and businesses as well as individuals who have made a difference in their community.
The 2019 Crystal Ball theme is “Super Hero: Use Your Powers For Good,” and will be held January 19, 2019 at the Arena at Southaven. The Community Stars will be honored at the fundraiser in front of a 1,000+ crowd. For more information about sponsorship or tickets call 662.449.5002.
The Community Foundation manages 240 donor-established funds and has disbursed over $20 million to support more than 420 charitable organizations and activities recommended by its donors, as well as charitable programs established by the foundation. Established in 2002 with a generous grant from the Maddox Foundation, the Community Foundation is an independent 501(c)3 charitable organization. To learn more about the Community Foundation, please visit www.cfnm.org or call 662.449.5002.